Translate

Friday, February 26, 2010

Books: 'The Great Gatsby' - F. Scott. Fitzgerald


Lately I started reading some of the English novels that I have in my personal book collection. All of them belong to the "Penguin Classics" collection, which in my opinion is the best one EVER!
The list is very long but I hope I will get to read at least half of it in the upcoming years :))

So...I started reading "The Great Gatsby" because several people recommended it to me and because it was named several times in the One Tree Hill series (where it was Luke's favourite book). The book isn't difficult to read and it's not very long so it only took me 2 days to finish it.

"This book is a perfect example of the fall of the American Dream in the 1920s."
It's the first book I've read where the action takes place in the jazz era.
I can only say that I enjoyed it. :)

And here are some of my favourite excerpts from the book:

"I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life."

"But I am slow-thinking and full of interior rules that act as brakes on my desires, and I knew that first I had to get myself definitely out of that tangle back home."

"Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known."

"There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired."

No comments:

Post a Comment